Acne/ Homeopathic Treatment for Acne
Acne or pimples is a common skin condition frequently seen in young individuals during teenage and youth years. This occurs mainly due to the action of hormones on the oil glands in the skin. The draining ducts of the oil glands get blocked and hence they are not able to drain the oil secretion. The oil and cells inside the blocked gland form a perfect environment for the growth of the bacteria which are responsible for acne.
Acne usually occurs on the face, chest, back, shoulders and neck. It is one of the most common skin conditions. Although acne is not a serious threat to the health, yet it can lead to scarring and disfigurement of the face that can have a significant impact on the patient.
Various Forms of Acne
Acne may present itself in various forms and these are as follows:
• Whiteheads and blackheads (Comedones): White or black tiny bumps on the skin which are nothing but the enlarged and plugged hair follicles
• Papules: Inflamed lesions that usually appear as small, pink bumps on the skin and can be tender to the touch
• Pustules (pimples): Pus-filled lesions that may appear red at the base
• Nodules: Large, painful, solid lesions that are lodged deep in the skin
• Lesions that can cause scarring
Causes of Acne:
One of the most important causes is the increase in the male hormones (androgens) that occurs in boys as well as girls during puberty. These hormones cause increased production of sebum (oil) and hence result in acne.
Hormonal changes related to pregnancy or such changes caused by starting or stopping birth control pills can also cause acne. Another factor is heredity or genetics; there is evidence to support the fact that the tendency to develop acne can be inherited from parents. Apart from this certain drugs, including androgens and lithium, are also known to cause acne. Greasy cosmetics may cause further plugging of the follicles in the skin and hence can precipitate the onset of acne.
Majority of people who develop acne are between the ages of 12 and 25. For most people, acne tends to go away by the time they reach their thirties; however, some people in their forties and fifties continue to have this skin problem.
Homeopathic treatment for Acne is strongly suggested. It helps in the following ways:
• Controls the tendency to have acne (often genetic, in severe cases)
• Addresses underlying hormonal disturbance which gives one a proneness to have acne
• Reduces excessive oiliness of skin
• Reduces acne directly
• Controls infection
• Controls scar formation
• Reduces hyperpigmentation following acne
• Controls tendency to scar formation following acne
Other Skin care measures to prevent acne
• Clean skin gently- Gently wash your face with a mild cleanser [according to the type of your skin], once in the morning and once in the evening, as well as after heavy exercise. It is also important to shampoo your hair regularly. If you have oily hair, you may want to wash it every day. Wash your face with plain water frequently.
• Avoid frequent handling of the skin. Avoid rubbing and touching skin lesions. Squeezing, pinching or picking blemishes can lead to the development of scars or dark blotches.
• Shave carefully- Shave gently and only when necessary to reduce the risk of nicking blemishes.
• Choose cosmetics carefully.
• Self-care measures and over-the-counter medicine have not helped after several months; Your acne is severe or getting worse; then contact your dermatologist.
• Products such as facial scrubs, astringents and masks generally aren't recommended because they tend to irritate skin, which can aggravate acne. Excessive washing and scrubbing also can irritate skin. If you tend to develop acne around your hairline, shampoo your hair frequently.
• Avoid irritants. You may want to avoid oily or greasy cosmetics, sunscreens, hair-styling products or acne concealers. Use products labeled "water-based" or "noncomedogenic."
• Protect yourself from sun. For some people, the sun worsens acne.