Homoeopathic Management of Obesity
Obesity is a disorder involving excessive body fat that increases the risk of health problems.
The prevalence of obesity has increased sharply since the mid seventies especially in the developed countries. In fact, obesity has become so rampant that more children and teenagers are obese nowadays than ever before. 40-50 % of the adult population in the world is obese.
Obesity is not just a cosmetic consideration. It is a medical condition associated with illness and disability. It can lead to: -
• High blood pressures
• Heart diseases like coronary heart diseases (CHD)
• Diseases of gall bladder
• Sleep apnea plus other respiratory problems
• Increased risks for many cancerous conditions in both men and women.
Causes of Obesity
• Overeating .When food energy intake exceeds energy expenditure, fat cells (and also to some extent muscle and liver cells) throughout the body take in the energy and store it as fat. So when the energy consumption exceeds the requirement, it causes obesity.
• Additional factors causing obesity
• Genetic disorders
• Underlying illness (such as hypothyroidism)
• Eating disorders (such as Binge eating disorder)
• Certain medications (such as anti-psycotics)
• Sedentary lifestyle
• A high glycemic diet
• Insufficient sleep
• Sudden smoking cessation
• Weight cycling - repeated attempts to do dieting to lose weightCauses of obesity
• Psychotic Drugs
• There are four major groups of drugs which can cause obesity: Benzodiazepines, Lithium, Antidepressants, Antipsychotic drugs
• Sulphonyl urea agents (used in treatments of diabetes) Medical Conditions
The increased demand for energy and the heightened metabolic activity of the body on account of the drastic hormonal changes, predispose pregnant women to weight gain and obesity. Women are known to gain as much as 12 to 16 kilos during pregnancy.
• Certain Tumors, endocrine disorders, PCOD, Thyroid disorders and Cushing's Syndrome may also lead to considerable weight gain
The most widely used calculator for obesity is the Body Mass Index (BMI). This number is a ratio of a person's weight (in kilograms) to his height (in meter square). BMI from 30 up to 35 indicate obesity. For adults above 35, a BMI greater than 27 is considered obese. According to the American Obesity Association (AOA) BMI also indicates the potential health risks that accompany obesity.
18 - <25- Minimal
25 - <27- Low
27 - <30- Moderate
30 - <35- High
35 - <40- Very high
>40- Extremely high
BMI less than 19 indicates mal-nutrition, while people with BMIs 25 up to 30 are considered overweight for their age and sex. BMI over 40 suggests morbid obesity. The BMI is a very sensitive indicator of obesity for people between the ages of 19 and 70 years.
Still, BMI is not suitable in Elderly people with general debility, Children growing up very fast, Pregnant or lactating women, and in some cases Body builders and athletes
Symptoms and Diagnosis of Overweight
The world health organization (WHO) has categorized obesity as a metabolic disorder. Often obese people approach their doctors when other health conditions worsen due to obesity.
Signs and symptoms that suggest that it is high time to tackle obesity are:
• No improvement in Diabetes in spite of medications and you are overweight. Remember that all obese persons do not develop diabetes, but 80% of diabetics are obese.
• There's a trouble conceiving. Impotence and infertility are conditions worsened by obesity.
• The menstrual cycles have become irregular. Too often or too late.
• Development of high blood pressure or existing high pressures are not responding well to medications.
• Increased daytime sleepiness or sleep apnea.
Risks associated with Obesity :-
• Obesity increases chances of skin infections. Fungal infections are common in skin folds of the abdomen, torso and lower limbs.
• Obesity can result in many chemical changes within the body. In some people, the Uric Acid content in blood rises sufficiently to cause gout-> a common condition causing joint inflammation.
• The weight bearing joints of the body -i.e. the back bones, knees, ankles etc. can suffer. Pains in the back and knee are common complaints associated with obesity.
• Young Children who are obese are more prone to joint problems, especially of the knee joints and lower limbs.
• Obesity can also cause stasis of blood flow especially in the lower limbs which lead to varicose veins.
Homeopathic medicine for weight loss can improve the overall metabolism of the body and can help to reduce the symptoms to some extent.
Treatment of Obesity:
Changing diet, Introducing Exercise
Dietary + Life style changes
Excess calories consumed end-up being stored as fat. A good diet plan must have foods high in nutritive value and low in empty calories.
• Add more high fiber foods. Vegetables, fruits, beans and whole grains are high in fibers which prevent excess absorption of carbohydrates from the intestines.
Have plenty of red, yellow and orange fruits which are high in antioxidants. • Avoid having animal fats. These are high in saturated fats which lead to conditions like high blood pressures and diabetes. Animal fats are very rich in cholesterols which can cause heart diseases along with obesity.
• Drink plenty of water. Recent studies have shown that simply having more water can increase your metabolic rates thus help in burning more calories in the form of fat.
• Maintain a balance between caloric intake and energy expenditure. It is true that obese people consume more calories than they require and burn lesser calories. So an ideal balance needs to be maintained.
• Start being more active.
• Walk more, use the car less often.
• Avoid using the car for short distances -> try cycling or walking instead.
• Climb stairs instead of always using the elevators.
• Pursue active recreational sports when home rather than watching television or surfing the net.
Homeopathic Treatment for Obesity:
Homeopathic approach to the treatment of Obesity entails treating the treatable cause, if possible. For example, if obesity is due to hormonal disorders such as Hypothyroidism, it calls for the treatment for the same. Besides the homeopathic medicine for weight loss, disciplined diet habit and exercise schedule form an important part of the treatment. It may be noted that there are no standard medicines in homeopathy which can reduce weight but the Homeopathic treatment for obesity is very effective, as it helps you lose weight in the most natural manner and without causing any harm to your body. Homeopathy works towards controlling obesity by improving your digestion, bowel movements and metabolic system.
There are Homeopathic medicines that help in reducing your craving for sweet sugary foods and also aid in controlling your appetite. If you are among the types, who tend to overeat when nervous, then homeopathy has a solution for you by providing you with medicine that will help you calm down and thereby prevent overeating.