Family therapy or family counselling sessions at Nidhivan are specifically designed to address the issues that affect the psychological health of the family, such as major life transitions or mental health conditions.
They may be used as the primary mode of treatment or as a complementary approach.
Family counselling aims to promote understanding and collaboration among family members in order to solve the problems of one or more individuals.
For example, if a child is having social and academic problems, therapy will focus on the family patterns that may contribute to the child's acting out and easing his emotions, rather than evaluating the child's behaviour alone. As the family understands the source of the problem with the child, they can learn to support the child and work proactively on minimizing the conditions that contribute to the child's unwanted behaviour.
Goals of family therapy sessions.
Usual goals of family therapy sessions are to improve the communication and understanding among family members, solving family problems, handling special family situations, and creating a better functioning home environment. In addition, it also involves:
1) Exploring the interactional dynamics of the family
2) Mobilizing the family's internal strength and functional resources
3) Restructuring the maladaptive interactional family styles (including improving communication)
4) Strengthening the family's problem-solving behaviour.
Reasons for family interventions:
Problems in your family can affect your life as well as life of other family members. You and your loved ones might notice trouble cropping up at work, at school, or in everyday interactions with other people.
When it feels like the issues in your family are day by day getting too big for you or any other family member to handle -- and aren't getting any better –it’s time to seek help. Not only the issues may get resolved but may be you can find new ways to manage struggles, conflicts, and challenges.
Some of the things that Family Therapy Sessions can help with are given below
However it may be possible that sometimes the reasons identified initially may be just a pointer to many other lurking problems within the family that may get discovered eventually during later assessments.
● Conflicts between family members
● Depression and anxiety
● Substance abuse or addiction
● A family member's mental illness
● Financial problems or disagreements about money
● Problems in school
● Inconsistent Parenting skills
● Difficulties between siblings
● Children's behaviour problems
● Caring for a family member with special needs
● Issues with extended family members
● Conduct and personality disorders.
● Coping up with stigma
● Job related stress
● A family member's illness or a death in the family
These basic informative sessions can last from two to ten sessions or from two to four months depending on the Issue, the circumstances, and other parameters after the first assessment. It would also depend on the time available with clients and their families.
NIDHIVAN, being an integrated healing centre, most priority is given to eradicating the root cause of the issue at the level of Body-Mind and Soul.